Bozkovské Dolomite CavesBozkovské Dolomite Caves

The dolomite caves with the largest underground lake in Bohemia.


The Hruboskalsko is one of the best-known rock formations. It is characterised by impressive towers reaching up to 55 m and also by steep canyons. 

Prachovské skály (rocks)Prachovské skály (rocks)

The Prachovské Skály nature preserve is one of the most popular regions in the Czech Republic. It is one of the oldest nature preserves in the country. 


Water Mills in Radim

Bohemian Paradise

Osada Tužín
Radim, 507 12

QR kód kontaktů pro Váš mobilní telefon

In Jičín Valley in the village of Radim, you can see three water mills that used to process flour.

Mlýn Prostřední (Middle Mill) No. 36

This mill was powered by a single wheel with a top water drive and a decline of 7 metres. Water was supplied into the mill through a drive from the weir at the end of the valley and a wood trough located above the municipal road. The machinery in the mill included a rye mill cylinder, a wheat mill cylinder, a French millstone and a one stool, rye flour and one French millstone Next to the mill was a general store.

Today, the mill and adjacent granary are extremely dilapidated. The new owner is planning to repair it.

Mlýn Dolení (Lower Mill) No. 22

This, the second of the three Radim mills, also had one wheel powered by top water with a decline of 5 metres. Its equipment included one rye cylinder, a French millstone and associated grinders. The water was driven into a pod where it was stored and when the mill was in operation, it would flow through the race to the mill wheel. In 1932, the former owner, Jan Beneš, added a bakery and sold rye bread that he used to bake.

After a major refurbishment, the mill is now used as a recreational facility by the original owner’s descendants. The pond has also been restored.

Mlýn Hoření (Upper Mill) No. 1

This, the third Radim mill, also had one wheel powered by water coming from the top and its drop was 8 metres; equipment included a French stone and a grain cutter. After Wallenstein´s death in 1634, the local lord was Adam of Riechenfels, who was very popular among the local people. As the mill is located in a secluded place near a forest, Bohemian exiles bringing important messages for Adam of Riechenfels met here. In 1868, the original two-floor mill that also had a wooden gallery burned down and František Vágner had a smaller mill with a larger wheel built. The new mill was used until 1930.
After being repaired, the mill has been owned by the Holý family.


Mlýn Hoření v Radimi

Technical Monuments: Sites associated with crafts

Mlýn Prostřední v Radimi


Bohemian Paradise Association © 1992-2022  |  Antonína Dvořáka 335, 511 01 TURNOV
tel.: +420 481 540 253  |  info@cesky-raj.info
Liberecký kraj Královéhradecký kraj Středočeský kraj
Publikační a redakční systém Public4u © 2000-2022