The Hruboskalsko is one of the best-known rock formations. It is characterised by impressive towers reaching up to 55 m and also by steep canyons. 

Bozkovské Dolomite CavesBozkovské Dolomite Caves

The dolomite caves with the largest underground lake in Bohemia.

Prachovské skály (rocks)Prachovské skály (rocks)

The Prachovské Skály nature preserve is one of the most popular regions in the Czech Republic. It is one of the oldest nature preserves in the country. 


The Masarykova vyhlídka View Point

Bohemian Paradise

Semily, 513 01

QR kód kontaktů pro Váš mobilní telefon

The Masarykova vyhlídka View Point is located above the town of Semily, at an altitude of 497 metres above sea level.It was named after the first Czechoslovak president and for its great view of the area and its history, it became a popular hiking destination.

On 17 September 1922, President T.G.Masaryk visited Semily. The programme of his visit also included a trip to Sejkorská Chapel. It was not an accident. The President Liberator knew this place very well from 1906 prior to when he held his office.

In honour of his visit, the Czech Tourist Club decided to name the view point at 497 metres above sea after Masaryk. After modifications, building a rock garden from natural rocks and a commemorative plaque, benches were installed and the Masarykova vyhlídka View Point opened to the public in 1925.

After 1948, the commemorative plaque was removed and the name Masarykova vyhlídka no longer appeared in guidebooks or publications. Almost 45 years passed before it was restored by the Czech Tourist Club, the town and the museum and the commemorative plaque was re-installed. The re-opening ceremony took place on 20 September 1992.

Today, this view point cannot boast open views of the Krkonoše Mountains, but it is still a destination for hikers and provides a view of Kozákov Hill. Near the Masarykova View Point, on the border between the Semily and Bozkov cadasters, you can see a Baroque niche chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Sorrows, known as Sejkorská Chapel. The chapel with its belfry an an altar with the Pieta sculptural group come from 1693. In old maps, this place used to be called Na sejkoří (in Czech, sejk means a tip), which may have given the name to the chapel.


Related articles



Bohemian Paradise Association © 1992-2022  |  Antonína Dvořáka 335, 511 01 TURNOV
tel.: +420 481 540 253  |  info@cesky-raj.info
Liberecký kraj Královéhradecký kraj Středočeský kraj
Publikační a redakční systém Public4u © 2000-2022